I made this.

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

the post that nearly took shape, part 1

Wow, second post in as many days. Already I am feeling smothered. This will probably not become a habit. And I don't really have anything to say anyways.
Travel: do it. That's what this post is about. At this point, I haven't given a title to the blog. I am hoping something clever occurs to me, but that doesn't usually happen.
More than a fortnight ago, I was invited by a lovely family to go to a restaurant with them. The claim to fame of this particular restaurant, which shall remain nameless, was that the help serves you big bowls of peanuts, and you may "throw the shells straight on the floor!!!" (Extra exclamation points added to convey excitement, nay, feverishness, of the sayer of said phrase) This shocked me; I was not shocked that management would allow people to throw food-waste onto the floor, I was instead amazed by the sense of overwrought thrill that this apparently gives people. That was when I realized (realised for our British friends [the very thought that somebody across the pond would read this!]) how happy I am that I have traveled. Had I never been more than twenty-five miles from the hospital in which I was born, perhaps throwing discarded legume shells on the ground might be the pinnacle of not only my culinary, but also my transcendental and life, experiences.
After one has seen Prague's Charles Bridge in the moonlight, or even the Washington Monument, one tends to invest less of one's excitement threshold in the propelling of the dried casing of the oval seed of a South American plant onto the floor of a dusty roadhouse.
I am probably coming across as very self-assured, thinking I am better than others simply because I own a passport and have traveled; however, other people who have traveled almost absolutely feel the same way as I do in regards to this matter. It has long been quoted that roughly 20-35% of Americans own a passport, and I think the two largest factors to blame for this are ignorance and complacency, two things that are very easily treatable.
My suggestion as I come to the close of my first part of this subject?
Get a passport and travel, or at least travel the U.S.A. You may think things can't possibly get any better than the town in which you live, but trust me, it get's so much better.
To be continued. . . .

"Ooh! OoOOooh! Ooh! Papers. . . ."
-Usher Raymond IV, confessionary enjoyer of nightclubs.

No comments:

Post a Comment